Toomey Lab Projects 2017-2018
1. Risk/protection factors related to suicide behaviors among LGBTQ youth
This project uses a large data set from several schools and community organizations to examine the role of developmental assets in reducing risk for suicide behaviors among sexual minority and gender diverse youth. Funded by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (2015-2017).
2. Identity, Family, and School Experiences of Latin@ LGBTQ Youth
This project examines how intersecting experiences related to race-ethnicity and sexual orientation contribute to well-being and academic achievement among over 400 Latin@ LGBTQ-identified youth. Data were collected online using social media recruitment via the Gay Lesbian and Straight Education Network.
3. Pilot study: Trans Youth & Family Cognitively-Based Compassion Training Intervention
This project examines the feasibility and effectiveness of a cognitively-based compassion training with trans youth and their families (aimed at recruiting 8-10). Participants will be recruited from parent of trans youth support groups in Tucson. Funded by the Institute for LGBT Studies at UA.
4. Athletes’ perceptions of the climate for LGBTQ athletes in Collegiate Sports and athlete ally development
This project explores perceptions of the climate for LGBTQ athletes and athlete ally identity among 159 college-student athletes at NCAA Division I schools.
5. Risk/Protection factors related to school experiences of Urban Youth
This project examines several risk and protective factors related to school achievement for students in an urban school in Northeastern Ohio. The school has one of the lowest graduation rates in the state of Ohio and has experienced tremendous demographic shifts in the past 15 years (e.g., the percentage of Latin@ students has increased by 40%). Funded by the Martha Holden Jennings Foundation.
6. Pilot study: Effectiveness of an arts-based suicide prevention program for SGM Youth
This project examines the feasibility and effectiveness of an arts-based suicide prevention program for sexual and gender minority youth. Funded by the University of Arizona Faculty Seed Grant and Alliance Foundation.
Find Dr. Toomey’s publications on Google Scholar